I was attacked at a business. Is the business liable for my safety?

I was at a video slots store in Rock Island, Il. on August 19th, 2016. I cashed out my winnings and was immediately jumped from behind by someone who wanted my money. I was 71 years old. We struggled to the floor and then he escaped the building. Police and EMT’s were called. The attacker was caught about 2 weeks later. He is in custody.

Asked on March 31, 2017 under Personal Injury, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A business owner's legal duty is to provide a safe premises for its customers; this includes a duty to protect them against harm caused by the criminal acts of third parties when those criminal acts are "foreseeable". And criminal acts are foreseeable when their occurrence can reasonably be expected under the circumstances. So, for example, in your case since you were at a "slots" store, if business owners failed to provide adequate security measures you were put at risk for attack. To not provide such measures could constitute negligence for which the business can be held liable. Such security measures might include hiring security guards, installing video cameras, maintaining sufficient lighting, keeping shrubery from growing too tall thus enabliing someone to hide behind it, etc. At this point, since this situation is fact so specific, you should consult directly with a local personal injury attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.