If I was at work when a drunk driver hit my car and totaled it and was offered 75% of the tax value, can I get more for my time suffering and being without the car?

After all he hit me and totaled my car. the tax value is $4,900 but I need $7,500 to be made whole again. Can I get this?

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You won't be able to recover compensation for "time suffering" because you were not injured in the accident.  Pain and suffering is recoverable in a personal injury claim; not a property damage claim.

As for time without the car, if you incurred rental car expense, you can recover that from the at-fault party's insurance carrier. 

If you disagree with the settlement offer, you can reject the offer and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party; however, it is unlikely you will receive $7500 because your car was a total loss and you are being offered 75% of its value.  Usually when a car is a total loss, the amount offered is considerably less than the settlement offer you received.  So, it is probably not worth the time and expense of litigation to try to recover an additional $2600.  You won't prevail if that additional $2600 represents pain and suffering and time without the car. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.