What can I do if I was at the mall the other day and when I was using the escalator I had my hand normally on the rail but was shocked on my finger?

I was in tears in hurt so bad. My finger is still numb at the tip and tingles sometimes. What can I do about this?

Asked on March 11, 2014 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, go to a doctor--more important than prospective legal action is taking care of your health. Second, while seeing the doctor, you an see if you suffered any lasting damage or injury, or what your medical costs will be. In a lawsuit for personal injuries, you can generally only recover an amount of money related to the severity, extent, and duration of injuries, as well as to the costs, such as medical bills, you incur. If you have nothing more than a few days, or even 2 - 3 weeks of numbness and occasional tingling or pain, and the cost of one doctor's visit, it would not be worth taking legal action. On the other hand, if the numbness may be permanent or may require some expensive procedure to correct, then you should speak with a personal injury attorney about your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.