What can be done if I was at a clothing optional bed and breakfast and caught the owner taking my pictures with his camera and tablet without my permission?

I am outraged, upset and extremely violated. I want to know if this is legal, and did he break any laws by doing this? He is a predator who invites women to his establishment and then photographs them. I want all the pics he took of me in his tablet. Should I go to the police, can I press charges, and do I have any rights in this situation? At no point did I give anyone permission to photograph my body, and witnessed him playing with pictures of me, and actually running to grab his phone to take more pictures of me. Several are of me from up above, which I find very disturbing.

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the owner of the bed and breakfast for invasion of privacy.

Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for invasion of privacy) would include mental distress, physical illness (if applicable), and harm to your business or social  interests.  You can also seek punitive damages ( a substantial amount to punish the owner for his wrongful motive).

You can also contact the police and file criminal charges against the owner of the bed and breakfast for taking the nude photos of you.  The criminal case is separate and independent of the civil case (lawsuit) discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.