If I was arrested just over a year ago but up to now I haven’t seen a judge, how do I find out if my case has been dismissed?

Asked on August 31, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you know the case number, you can go to the court and ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can review the file at the court and can ask the court clerk to photocopy any sections of it that you want.
If you don't know the case number, go to the court and look for your name under defendants in the court's computer to obtain the case number.  Once you have the case number, give it to the court clerk to obtain the file as mentioned above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.