What to do if I was arrested for public intoxication but am a college freshmen and don’t have the money for a lawyer?

However, I don’t remember drinking a lot so I went to the hospital to get tested to see if I had been drugged. The results came back positive. Is there a chance the charges will be dropped against me in court because I was unwillingly drugged?

Asked on September 6, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Quite probably. What you need to do is to consult with a criminal law attorney who handles such cases. An experienced defense lawyer should be able to use the test results to get the charge dismissed or at the very least reduced. Don't try to represent yourself the system may not work in your favor. And having a conviction for public intoxication is not something that you want on your criminal history record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.