Where do I begin to handle a warrant for my arrest due to a missed court date which I knew nothing about?

I was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana paraphernalia; I was subsequently sentenced to 4 drug classes. I was late to 2 of them and turned away. I attempted to reschedule via fax but did not hear back at all this was a year ago. Now, due to a job search, this has all come up and want to get this cleared up.

Asked on April 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your classes were being handled through a probation department-- contact that department and start everything going again.  If your classes were being handled through a court program-- do the same.  You simply want to inquire on the procedures, though.  Once you provide them with your address, there is a chance they will be sending local law enforcement your way to arrest you.

Another option is to simply hire an attorney to handle the warrant issue for you.  They can also help renegotiate a new deal for you that may not require classes, since attending classes seemed to be an issue for you. 

Neither option is fun, but the unfortunate reality is that you need to get the charges resolved or they will simply continue to haunt you until you do so. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.