If I was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana and this is my first offence ever, what should I do?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Jon Welborn / Welborn Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all I would always recommend speaking directly with a criminal defense attorney in the area in when you are charged with a criminal offense.  If this is your first offense and depending upon the evidence in the case you may be eligible for a deferred prosecution which so long as certain conditions are met then the matter may be dismissed at the end of the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.