If 3 years ago I was arrested for indecency with a child, can I clear it from my criminal history record?

I never went to jail, nor had probation. I was given an agreed protective order, which expired last month. What options do I have?

Asked on February 17, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Offenses involving sexual offenses are hard to get off of your record, but they are not completely impossible.  About a year and half ago, Texas changed its expunction laws which now have some limited options, even for sexual offenses, for applying and receiving an expunction.  Keep in mind, however, that it will only expunge the arrest.  It will not expunge the agreed protective order.  Before applying for an expunction, talk to the attorney that helped you with the original protective order.  If the prosecutor will agree to the expunction, the process will be much cheaper and easier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.