What will happen to me if a warrant for a failure to appear has been issued against?

I was arrested for driving on a suspended license and the court gave me 6 months supervision with a $800 fine. Due to my current situation I was unable to pay the fine. I recently received a summons to go to court for this matter and I was un able to go due to transportation issuses. I now have a warrant for my arrest. I live by myself along with my 3 children. I have no family in the area. The police also know my name and where I live. Can the come in side to arrest me, even if I dont answer the door? Also, is there any way that I can handle this without being taken into custody? Finally, if I do have to serve time, what is the max and will they take into consideration that I have 3 small children?

Asked on July 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The police can come to your house and arrest you on the open warrant.  You greatly increase the chances of spending time in jail if you are brought back by the police instead of voluntarily returning.  Speak to the lawyer who represented you and arrange your surrender.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.