If I was arrested for a DUI but went to court and it was reduced to a reckless driving with court supervision, does that count as a conviction?

I am now in grad school on my way to becoming a teacher. A requirement for this is to submit to a fingerprint-based criminal background check and I am not sure what if to answer “yes” or “no” to being convicted any crime upon my circumstances. “Convictions include all felony or misdemeanor convictions. Convictions of driving while intoxicated or under the influence (DUI), and driving on a revoked or suspended must be reported.But, convictions that resulted in sentences of supervision….or traffic offenses other than DUI or driving on a revoked or suspended license should not be reported.”

Asked on October 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What happened here is that you pleaded guilty to a lesser offense.  Pleading guilty counts as a conviction.  However, this particular question does not require you to report convictions that resulted in sentences of supervision.  Since this one did, you apparently do not need to report it this time.  However, always read the question carefully when deciding how to answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.