What to do if I was arrested and charged wrongly with a public intoxication?

They held me in jail for 22 hours and forced me to sign paperwork agreeing to a court date. I insisted that I wished to sit my time out in jail and they would not let me, saying the judge wasn’t available until Monday so I had no choice. Is it legal for them to make me sign/agree to things I openly say I don’t want to agree to? How long do I have to take action about this?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to bring a civil action against a municipality, you need to consult with a perosnal injury lawyer who has experience in suing governmental entities. Under the laws of all state sin this country, you have to timely submit a claim under the given state's tort claim action normally within six (6) months after the wrongful conduct to perfect a possible lawsuit. From there, you have so long to file a lawsuit after the claim is rejected.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney sooner rather than later due to the running of certain statutory requirements that you must fulfill to even be able to file a lawsuit against the governmental entity that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.