What to do if I was arrested a year ago for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia and received deferred judgment but have not paid my fines?

I had an unknown court date last month that I didn’t know about, so I didn’t appear. I then had another court date for failing to appear yesterday and did not go. I called the courthouse and they said I had no warrant out.

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where you were arrested to resolve the action against you. My experience is that the longer you let the matter go, the worse it will get for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.