If I was admitted to a hospital for alcohol poisoning and I’m a minor will the police be contacted and issue me a citation for underage drinking?

During the night no police were involved either at the hospital or at the party and that was confirmed by the receptionist at the hospital. Would I be in the clear since I handled the issue at the hospital without the police or could they file a citation without an officer being on the scene? Friends in similar situations have told me that they never received anything from the police. I’m 20 years old.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would be suprised if you got charged under these circumstances.  Usually, someone has to make a complaint for the police to get involved.  In your case, the police would have a hard time gathering any evidence against you. 

Specifically, they would need to get a warrant.  Since time has passed, I cannot see a judge granting a warrant.  Regardless, the delay has made the case near impossible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

If you are ever interviewed regarding this incident make sure you have an attorney before you speak to anybody.  Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.