What to do if I was a victim of identity theft?

I found out someone was working under my name. Now I am receiving letters from settlement groups. I think that person has won a lawsuit and is receiving payments.

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you on the matter that you are writing about to look into the judgment presumably against you and to see what can be done to try and get it set aside based upon mistaken identity and fraud as to your identity. Perhaps the district attorney's office needs to get involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.