What to do if I was a victim in an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon but because the crime was intentionaltheat-fault party’sinsurer refuses to pay?

I was rammed in my car 3 times by a truck. Can his auto insurance deny coverage because the act was intentional or do they have a liability in this?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Personal Injury, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, his insurance probably *can* deny your claim. Most auto liability policies contain an exclusion that absolves the insurer of its obligations in the event of deliberate wrongful behavior, like crimianl assault; the insurance is meant is to protect an innocent person who has an accident, not to allow a criminal or wrongdoes to escape some of the economic consequences of his or her actions. If the attacker's policy contained such an exclusion, the insurer would not have to pay. Note that this does NOT mean that you can't sue the attacker--whether or not he has insurance, you can sue him for your injuries, damages, losses, etc. from the assault. If he has income or assets (including vehicles or real estate/property), you should be able to collect, even if he has no insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.