What to do about a car accident and no uninsured motorist coverage?

I was a passenger in my husband’s company vehicle. There was a mattress on the highway which traffic hit and it eventually hit us. My husband’s truck had large hooks for towing on the front and the mattress lodged onto the passenger front hook holding the mattress there. My husband pulled over and yelled “out of the truck”. When I opened my door fire flashed up and I was burned. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and have had 2 surgeries. His insurance company is saying he was not at fault so they don’t have to pay for anything personal injury related .with the exception of a medical payment of $5000. He had tons of insurance but no uninsured motorist coverage.

Asked on September 7, 2013 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in insurance coverage law in your locality to review the policy of your spouse as well as your own for your car. An attorney with such experience in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.