I was a passenger in a car that was pulled over for passing counterfit money, charged with possesion and I am innocent. What rights do I have?

I have information against the person pulled over for counterfit money and the drugs found in the vehichle did not belong to me. I am on probation already. I need to know what to expect when I go into my probation officer on Wednesday.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you have a problem, no matter what.  The common sense of your probation conditions, if not the exact wording, is that you're supposed to stay away from people committing crimes and in possession of illegal drugs.  I think that you need an attorney, as soon as possible, to get as much mileage as you can out of whatever cooperation you can give to the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.