If I was a 3 day temporary worker for a company but the first check they sent me bounced and it has been almost 6 weeks and I still haven’t gotten paid, what can I do?

Can I complain to the Department of Labor or should I ask them to pay me more for taking so long> We had no contract, just verbal agreements.

Asked on June 17, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under CA law, departing employees are entitled to receive their final paycheck within certain strict deadlines. Employees who are fired/laid off must be paid all of their wages immediately at the time of termination. Employees who quit without giving prior notice must be paid their wages within 72 hours and employees who provide at least 72 hours notice of their intention to quit must be paid their wages on their final workday. If you have not been tinely paid, you can sue your former employer in small claims court and/or file a complaint with the Industrial Relations Commission.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.