What is a tenant’s liabiliy if a sublet falls through?

I was 1 of 4 tenants renting a university housing apartment and I signed the lease. I moved out 9 months ago. I was informed the university housing place found a subleasee for me. I signed papers stating I was moving out and turned in my keys. However, 2 weeks later they called and said the subleasee fell through and I was responsible. I had given my notice per lease agreement. Plus, the other tenants were not paying the rent if you look at the site, it shows the rent per person, not a lump sum due. Then 2 months ago they contacted me and stated that I owed them $2000. I said I had followed the procedures outlined in the lease. Because they didn’t find another tenant, they wanted me to pay.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your rental question, you need to carefully read yiur presumed written lease with universitry housing and any sublease. Such documents control the obligations owed to you to university housing and vice versa.

Most likely if the sublease fell through for your share of the rental and you did not get a complete written release from the university for the unit you are writing about, you are still responsible on the written lease that you presumably signed.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices landlord tenant law if you have further questions concerning the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.