What do I have to do after my I-30 application filed from my spouse has been approved?

The case has now gone to National Visa Center (NVC) but we have no idea what to do next. I am currently in Brazil and my spouse is in the US.

Asked on July 22, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The NVC will contact your spouse about a month or so after getting the approved i130 from USCIS with instructions on payment of the consular fees and submission of documents for the consular processing stage.  In the meantime, you can review the requirements for the documents you will both need to present on the us state dept website under immigrant visas So that when the NVC does contact your husband you will both be prepared to submit everything.  If you are working with an attorney he/she should be able to assist you with this stage of the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.