If want to start small business as a supplies wholesaler and will be using my residential address as business location, what kind of licensing do I need?

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 You need to be registered, as the appropriate businesa type e.g. LLC, corporation, sole proprietorship or DBA.
2 You need to check with your town/city's zoning, to see if you can run that type of business, or indeed any business, from your residence.
3 If you rent, check your lease that running a business from your rental is allowed.
4 Inform your homeowner's or renter's insurance company and get the correct insurance, or you may be uncovered against any claima.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.