If I want to sell plants at a farmer’s market, should I start out by filing a DBA and then when the business grows file for an LLC. or should I just be starting with an LLC?

Asked on April 19, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Start with the LLC. If you incur liability as a DBA, you will be *personally* liable for those amounts--that is, you'll have to pay out of your own personal assets and income, not business assets, and could have your home, your car, etc. at risk--even you later convert to an LLC. You want the protection of the LLC form from the beginning.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.