If I want to see the evidence against me before I go to court and hire an attorney, how do I ask to see it?

And if they don’t have the evidence available, how can I get the case dismissed?

Asked on October 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford one. Have this counsel seek discovery in this matter or at least have an off record discussion with the prosecutor to see if the matter can or should be dismissed and charges expunged or if the matter could be pled down before any trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.