I want to remove my ex girlfriend name from the title of my house

I bought a house with my ex girlfriend in 2003 with both our names in the title.
However, she hasn’t lived there for approximately 7 years. I currently still live there.

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your ex can file a quitclaim deed which releases her entire right, title, and interest in the property to you. The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary. Both you and she are there. The quitclaim deed is effective upon being recorded (filed with the county recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.