If I want to relocate and my ex-husband is considered the primary parent, how can I guarantee my visitation?

I can not afford legal representation. I wantto relocate for employment opportunities but due to past history with the father, I want to guarantee my parenting time via the guidelines of the state. How should I first obtain legal representation appointed by the court and get the process started to be able to relocate and guarantee that he (the father) will have to adhere to the parenting schedule and provide adequate transportation such as meeting halfway?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am a little confused about what is or is not in place here between you and the father of your children.  First, do you have a parenting plan with a visitation schedule in place from your divorce?  Does it say anything about moving or relocating?  That issue needs to be determined.  Then you need to get your ex husband's consent to what you want.  You can force him to adhere to the parenting schedule but you may not be able to force him to accommodate you and your move - with regard to transportation, etc.  You may need to request a modification of the agreement based upon a change of circumstances and tell the court about the great job that you got to help better provide, etc.  Try legal services.  The court does not appoint an attorney for these type of cases.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.