If I want to open a bed and breakfast in a home that I am renting, what kind of insurance do I need to protect my mother who is the property owner?

Do I need a business license? Does the property have to be zoned for business?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to open a bed and breakfast establishment in a home you first need to ascertain if the property is zoned to do what you wish and if it is, you need to get a business license with your local municipality to conduct commercial operations there.

The type of insurance you need is a commercial business policy to cover claims against you and your mother for personal injuries from people falling, slipping, getting ill from tainted food and the like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.