If I want to move with my mom but my dad has custody of me, what do I do?

I am 14 years old.

Asked on December 5, 2012 under Family Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your mother have to go to court and apply for a "modification" of the custody order. The court will then look at what is in your "best interests". The fact is that you cannot decide with which parent you want to live. However, based on your age, your preference will be given more consideration by the judge (typically, the older the child the greater the weight is given to their preference).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.