What to do if I want to marry my girlfriend who is residing in Greece?

I am a US citizen. She was here last year but had to return. She wants to come so we can get married but we’d hate to wait for the 6 month waiting period with the fiance visa. If she can come again on a tourist visa and we marry, can we apply for her permanent status OK or would there be a problem? Some say to wait 90 days and then marry. We just want to be together. Finances have complicated the issue.

Asked on November 24, 2013 under Immigration Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to have her apply for a green card through inside or outside of the U.S. One way is while she is here on a tourist visa or the other while she is outside the U.S. Both have to be while she is legally married to you. You will need to check with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services but the matter is she shouldn't have to wait for a visa in this matter. Check with the agency and see if you need a possible counsel to help you fast track this method.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.