I want to know if you can sue a community college for providing an education less than what was expected per the program outline and dean?

No class structure. new instructor who doesn’t know what he’s doing or teaching. No feedback from instructor on assignments. Took classes where we didn’t get equipment needed for class until a quarter or half way through semester. The dean told us we are basically the guinea pigs and we should expect things to be disorganized. Instructor and the dean said at the beginning of our second semester we should expect to enter the work force at above entry level pay. Now they say it depends. Also, told our degree would make us marketable for specific jobs and now they say no.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under General Practice, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to look for a new school and then consider suing the school for this form of curriculum to get your money back. See if you can transfer your units to the new school and then sue. Speak to an attorney about a) suing the school and individual teachers and b) contacting and possibly suing the department of education in your state for allowing this entity to even exist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.