Do I have a case to sue a mortgage lender and force them to reduce the loan principal and provide a lower locked in interest loan if I was given the wrong loan?

I was provided a Good Faith Estimate that shows a conventional loan type, yet I was given an ARM loan. was not informed it was a FreddieMac subprime loan, however that is what I have and Freddie Mac doesn’t recognize that I have a loan with them.

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you have a legal basis to bring an action against your lender for false information for the loan that you ended up receiving would have to be based upon a detailed legal analysis by a real estate attorney after he or she has reviewed all of your loan documentation.

However, from what you have written, there seems to be a factual basis for contacting a representative for your lender to see if the lender would be willing to re-write the terms of your loan into a fixed rate situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.