I want to know if I can sue a man who assaulted me?

I was playing in a co-ed indoor soccer game. A man got in my face and head butted my nose breaking it. I did not touch the man prior to him getting in my face. No punches were thrown after he did this either.

Asked on February 16, 2016 under Personal Injury, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for assault and battery.  Assault is intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery without consent or legal privilege.
Battery is the actual physical contact.  Battery is the harmful or offensive touching of another person without consent or legal privilege.
Assault and battery are both criminal and civil (lawsuit).  The civil case proceeds independently of the criminal case.
You can seek damages (monetary compensation) for your broken nose.  Your damages would include compensation for the medical bills (straight reimbursement), compensation for pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports) and compensation for wage loss (straight reimbursement). 
In your lawsuit for assault and battery, you can seek punitive damages (a substantial amount to punish the intentional, wrongful act of the defendant).
Your lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.