What to do about hotel negligence that has occured out of state if the hotel is head quartered in a third state?

Would you advise us to hire a lawyer in the state it occurred and correspond with them miles away in the process, hire one in the state where we reside or one in the state the hotel chain is headquartered in? My mother has slipped and fell in the lobby of the hotel. She had to have femur surgery and is currently undergoing rehab before they can even travel back home We would like to take action ASAP so that this doesn’t get delayed.

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Speak first with a local (to you) attorney and discuss with him or her the circumstances and the locations of the different parties; let the lawyer advise you where to file the lawsuit. If you can file in your home state, do so and use a local attorney; if you have to file, under the venue rules as they apply to these facts, in a different state, then you'll want an attorney in the state you are filing in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.