What do I have to do if I want to have my son as my power of attorney but he lives out of the country?

Do I need to have dual power of attorney? If so, should they act together or separately?

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should consult an attorney to prepare the power of attorney in compliance with the law of the state you live in, with your name signed in front of a notary public. Then send the original to your son, and have him take the document for his signature to be signed in front of a notary at the US Embassy or Consulate. It is not neceesary to have him sign the power of attorney, but I believe it is better practice to have him sign, then when you receive the original document, send the document to the county recorder for recorder, particulary if you have a residence to be sold by him in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.