How do I know ifI am eligible for aJ-1 visa?

I’m just coming back from NYC where I’ve spent 3 months. Now that I’m back home I want to get a J-1 visa to work and live in the US but I’m 29, I’m not a student anymore and I’m not graduated. Is my job experience in my country enough to apply? I’m French I want to work in a French-related field. I’m a freelancer here in my country and I think that J-1 Visa is the best option since I can not apply for a H1-B cause I’m not graduated from any college. I know every step I have to follow to get that visa but I don’t want to start if I’m not eligible.

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact an organization does sponsors J-1 and find out what you can do and whether you can qualify.  The visa is not issued by itself; it is tied to an organization or an institution where you are doing the study/work/research, etc. so you need to find out what the different organizations are, what they do and whether you can qualify.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.