How do I file a small claims against someone out of state?

Where do I get the paperwork and where do I send it?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Go to your local courthouse and find the self-help window for civil/small claims.  Some courthouses have separate self-help desks for small claims.  You want to get the paperwork to file the claim and ask them for proof of service forms as well.  If the other party lives out of state, you can serve them by mail.  The self-help personnel should be able to tell you how to do this.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.