If I want to contact my boyfriend who I have a temporary order of protection from, is there any way of doing so?

I have been in a relationship for 2 years and it had turned abusive for a year. Each occasion he has hurt was when he was high on weed or wanting to go get weed and I was trying to get in the middle. On Friday afternoon I finally called the cops because I had enough. They set a temporary order of protection until October which is our court date. I know it is foolish to want to contact him, but I decided we could work things out if he goes to counseling. His absence is killing me and I would really like to talk to him in a way that we don’t get in trouble with the law.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With a temporary order of protection, there is normally a no contact order between the parties. You being the alleged victim, if he has contact with you either by phone, social media, or in person, he can be held in contempt of the court order and placed in jail. I would not advise violating the protection order. Rather, you can request that the protection order be removed if the Judge finds suitable grounds to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.