How to change the back up POA’s for my mother?

I became POA by default because my sister wouldn’t talk to me. Mom had to update her trust before her surgery and someone had to step up for the position. Mom has Alzheimer’s Disease and is not compentent. My sister is 2nd POA and brother-in-law 3rd POA. They have had nothing whatsoever to do with my mother for 5 years. They are no longer good back up POA’s as they know nothing about my mother’s condition, medications, doctors, etc, etc. As POA can I change the 2nd and 3rd POA for mom?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Changing the alternate agents doesn't really matter unless you become incompetent or unable to serve as your mother's agent.  So, unless you see yourself in such a situation, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Generally, an agent under a POA does not have the authority to write a new POA for the principal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.