What to do if I want to be reimbursed for expenses incurred with getting my car repaired after a federal worker backed his government vehicle into it?

My parked vehicle was hit. The federal tort claim system will pay for vehicle repair but not the other costs. I want to be rembursed for out of pocket exenses and my time. The driver’s personal insurance will not cover the costs either. Is small claims court the place to go to get reimbursement?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot obtain complete compensation that you desire with respect to your damaged car caused by the apparent inattention of a federal worker after you have submitted your claim under the federal tort claims act, your recourse is to sue the federal worker and his or her employer in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.