How do I go about adopting my girlfriend’s daughter if the real father is not on the birth certificate?

F am not the biological father but I’ve been involved in the child’s life since birth. I was unable to be at the hospital to sign the birth certificate and I was wondering how to add my name and how much it would cost?

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

How wonderful for the child that you are in her life.  But you can not just amend the birth certificate and become her father.  You need to legally adopt her and first, terminate the rights of her biological father.  it would be really best if he voluntarily termniated his rights and then you would not have to go through the legal expense of doing it.  Courts favor termination iof there is some one waiting in the wings to adopt but also understand that they will look at your relationship with her mother too and you are not married.  Get some legal help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.