What to do if I want my husband to adopt my daughter?

Will the biological father need to sign over his rights? If so, if he refuses to is there other ways to have the adoption take place.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the only way your spouse can adopt your minor child is for the other parent to voluntarily sign an adoption agreement subject to court approval after there is a hearing on the matter signed by the judge hearing the application for adoption. If the biological father refuses to allow your spouse to adopt the child there is nothing you can do about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.