If I violated my misdemeanor and have been living in another state for the past 8 years, is it possible for me to have my probation violation dismissed here?

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

At this point, a warrant has most probably been issue for your arrest by the state in which the incident occurred. You will need to return and appear in court. However, you need to consult with an attoreny in the area first. They can use their local contacts to your best advantage. Whatever you do, you should do it now. It is always better to appear voluntaily in the cases.

Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you violated the terms of your probation 8 years ago, there is likely a warrant for your arrest in that State.  You will need to return to that state and have that warrant vacated before any discussion  of punishment can occur. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.