What can I do if I started working for a new company last week and quit my other position due to being hired on-the-spot during my interview but have now been terminated?

I went to interview and it was a success. I was asked hours and when to start and I then told them that I have to give current position a weeks notice and then left that job. I started working and shadowing current employees at new job for 3 days on the first week. On the second week as I called to know hours to work later that week but received an email of termination of employment (stated on the email from non-hiring manager: bad behavior, low customer service, etc… things I’ve definitely have not done). Now I’m without employement from both positions. Can I sue?

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You most likely cannot sue: employment is employment at will unless you had a written employment contract to the contrary, which means you could be terminated by an employer (the old one or a new one) at any time, for any reason whatsoever. There is no guaranty to or rights to a job without a written contract, and so no claim for being let go from one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.