Is there a way to get out of an apartment lease by claiming hardship?

If not, how? I lost my job 2 months ago, lost my car 1 month ago and have no source of income. I have family in another state who is willing to help me if I move there.

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, hardship is not a recognized ground to lawfully get out of a lease--or of any contract. When someone enters into a contract, like a lease, he or she is held to regardless of changes in his or her circumstances, such as financial distress. You can only escape the lease without penalty if the landlord violates his or her obligations, such as by not providing habitable space or significantly disturbing your use of the premises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.