What to do if I’ve just received a letter from a law office mentioning an auto accident and asking me to provide my insurance information but there was no accident?

It claims a “property damage arising out of automobile accident”, but I never had any accident, never interacted with anyone, and there are no signs of any kind of damage on my car – not even a scratch. I have no clue what are they talking about. What should I do, how to react to this?

Asked on October 12, 2013 under Accident Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Contact the law firm and inform them that they have the wrong person, that you were never in a car accident.  Do not give them your insurance information.  If that does not work, insist upon seeing a copy of the police report before providing any information.  That should make it easy enough to prove it isn't you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.