If I’ve been supporting my husband for 2 years while he’s been starting up a new company but we’re thinking divorce, can I get reimbursement alimony?

We live in a community property state. We’ve been married less than 10 years and have one minor child. Husband works from home. But, is not a Mr. Mom. There are other issues in marriage. I found an online dating profile where he claimed to be divorced and make $75k/year. Yet he contributes no money to the household. Can I use that profile against him?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Family Law, California


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The dating profile can be used as evidence of infidelity.  The Court will normally make a ruling on the issue of alimony based on the facts of the case (e.g., length of marriage, employment and income of the parties, expenses, etc.).  You should not attempt to represent yourself in a divorce action with the facts you have alleged.  Consult an attorney as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.