What to do if I’ve been restoring a classic car and took it to a shop for body work/paint but had issues with the paint peeling almost immediately?

I tried to resolve it with the shop directly but felt like I kept getting the runaround. I was just in an auto accident with the vehicle and took it elsewhere for repairs but I’ve been informed that the vehicle was not prepped or painted correctly so now the paint is chipping off where they needed to blend the paint. Other areas are starting to peel already that were unrelated to the accident but now include minor body work as a result of the accident. I’m looking at upwards of $11,000 to have the vehicle repainted. The initial body work/repair cost me $25,000.

Asked on February 2, 2013 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about concerning the failed paint job on your vehicle you need to take it back to where the work was done and have the owner fix it to your satisfaction. If he or she refuses, you need to get an estimate for the costs of repairs and sue the repair facility for the amount. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.