If I’ve been notified that a judgement has been taken out on me and I have spoke with the collection agency/law firm collecting the debt, can I still ne garnished?

I’ve been informed that I had to pay $300 a month on a $4900 debt. I’ve explained my finances and have offered to pay $200 a month on the debt. I was told that I had to pay $300 or face garnishment. If I’m paying the $200 a month on the debt even though they informed me that I must pay $300, can tbey garnish my check?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The opposing party can proceed with the wage garnishment to enforce its judgment against you even if you are paying $200 per month unless there is a signed written settlement agreement between you and the opposing party to avoid a wage garnishment.  Since the opposing party is demanding $300 per month to avoid a wage garnishment, they will most likely proceed with the wage garnishment if you are paying $200 per month.

You might want to consider filing bankruptcy to stop the wage garnishment.  Your income and other factors will determine your eligibility to file Chapter 7.  A Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which eliminates certain types of debts.  If you are not eligible for Chapter 7, you can file Chapter 13; however, Chapter 13 requires a plan (budget) for payment of creditors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.