If I’ve been married 21 years and recently separated from my husband, when he files taxes is there anyway to make sure that I get my part of the refund?

How do I go about getting a court order petition to get part of the money?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Family Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written about, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to file a petition for a legal separation from your spouse with the local county clerk and within it seek an order from the court as to associated matters including any and all refunds of taxes, both state and federal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.