If I’ve been living in with my boyfriend in his parent’s rental house for a year and all the bills to our apartment are in my name but it’s his parents house, can he throw me out if we get into a fight?

We live there under an oral rental agreement.

Asked on October 10, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Only a landord may evict a tenant. So your boyfriend's parents would have to evict you. Since you are on an oral lease, it is what is known as a "month-to-month lease". This means that if his parents choose, the can give you notice to vacate typically you would ave to be out within 30 days.
Again, however, your boyfriend cannot throw you out. If he does, you can take legal action against him. That having been said, if you have put him in fear for his safety, he could get a protective order which would allow him to lock you out.
At this point, you can consult directly with an attorney in your area. They can more fully explain your rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.